Sunday, March 22, 2009

LEE-YOU-BLEE-YANA

**I made two separate posts so don't forget to read the one below this!**

Ljubljana. A great city that nobody has heard of and even fewer can pronounce. Embarking into Slovenia was the first time that I really felt foreign. After being in so many German speaking regions, it was a complete change of pace to start hearing the Slavic tongue. I arrived at the train station and within an hour of arrival found myself at another concert. This time they were American…and they were old. The Eagles of Death Metal looked more like the Eagles of Yester Year. The lead guitarist had a delightful double chin that jiggled along with the music while the light shined off his shiny scalp while the bassist looked like some Emo caveman. Don’t get me started on the lead singer…they might have picked him up along the road somewhere…

But enough about old men. I spent the next day in Ljubljana simply walking the streets and snapping photos. Hopefully I will have the patience to go through them and pick a few key shots. I was fortunate to be in the artsy mood because there isn’t much else to do in Ljubljana except drink. That’s why I made a trek away from the city the next morning to the beautiful Triglav National Park.

Something that I’ve already picked up on about Eastern Europe is the lack of fear in the bus drivers. The drive to Triglav took us down barely paved roads that could fit about and a half cars and around blind bends that could very well have led to the death of some poor cow or farmer that may have been walking along the road. Thankfully, we made it without any casualties. I arrived at the tourist information only to find out that the hiking trails in Triglav have a sad way of starting in the middle of nowhere (I.e. nowhere near the town) so I enjoyed a walk around the lake as well as a daring dance along a rocky river shore. And there was plenty of time to sleep on the bus on the way back as the bus broke down about a twenty miles from anywhere important enough to have a mechanic. Needless to say, we made it back, and I roam on.

No comments: