Sunday, January 25, 2009

Das Phantom Der Oper not quite there inside my mind...

Oh what a day! The highs and lows were tremendous but in the end, it worked itself out. I had a little freak out this morning. Those of you that travel can probably relate to homesickness in the first few days. I found myself lying in bed in the wee hours of the morning and contemplating ridiculous things like flying home…then I slapped myself and chatted with a few of you who happened to be on face book (Thanks Steve and Jennie!) who let me vent a little. I’m glad that’s over.
Normally I like to stay pretty chronological with my writing but I think I will stick with themes for this entry. The other relative low of the day. I was looking for something musical and cultural and of course…what could be more German than Das Phantom Der Oper. Okay fine, I guess Andrew Lloyd Webber isn’t very German but that didn’t really matter because this rendition of Phantom was a little different. I was regretfully not informed by anyone that this version of Phantom would have no songs in common with the original. Yes mom, the first time I go to see Phantom live its in German and has songs more reminiscent of Mamma Mia. The one good thing is that I somehow ended up paying a student price that was less than a third of the cost of the ticket and sat in the 5th row center.
I was not as fortunate in seating for the church service that I attended at Berliner Dom. Luckily they had an “International Visitors” section which had archaic headsets that provided a play by play English translation. I felt like a member of the UN. It was a good service but I would probably have been just as happy not having any clue what was going on and just listening to the angelic voices of the choir filling the massive dome.
As I finish this up, I am very proud to say that it is 1am and I haven’t slept since 8am this morning! I made it through the whole day without a nap! Maybe this jetlag thing isn’t going to kill me…cheers

3 comments:

alivaux said...

hooray!!! can't wait to hear more about your adventures!!!! love, me.

Todd said...

Sad to hear that Phantom was a flop... Sounds like you're going to have an AMAZING year though...can't wait to read into it as you get further :)

Unknown said...

Alex - I am reading your blog to Grammy over the phone. I'll be checking it and reading it to her when you have a new posting. Glad you are adjusting to the jet lag! Lots of love, Aunt Cathy