Sunday, November 2, 2008

Reasons...

This is my first travel blog entry. I’m starting this in hopes that I will continue it as I make my way around the globe. This will also give me a way to be contacted (although I guess facebook is just as good for that!) Welcome, please in share this with people who you think might be interested.

As I right this there are many reasons floating around in my head for leaving so suddenly. That sentence isn’t quite accurate. Although I may be planning a 9 month trip in 80 days, it has been in the works for at least 12 years, dating back to a class trip to the big apple where I first contracted this travel bug. It has something to do with my current stagnant job situation but goes deeper. Where to begin…

Some people may disagree with this statement but I feel like I’m quickly reaching a point in my life that I may not be able to just drop everything and go. This is the ideal time for me to leave the country. I have no real job, I plan to go to graduate school but I don’t know the field of study, I’m not in a relationship, I have no mortgage or car payments or kids. I’m young and I need to do it.

I need to get away. I have lived an amazing 23 years that I wouldn’t trade for the world (especially not a trip around it!). What is need is to be broken. I mean this in multiple senses: I need to get away from the culture and peoples that I have grown up with and experience the new. My biggest fear as a traveler is being seen as a tourist. I desire to immerse myself in the places that I visit and learn from them and experience them through the eyes of a local. I need my eyes to be opened to different ways of life.

I also desire a renewal of faith that I haven’t been successful in finding here. I need to get away so that I can be alone. Alone with God. Whether it be on a mountain top in Kazakhstan, spelunking in a cave in Slovenia or floating in the Dead Sea, I need to be cleansed. My mind is so cluttered with worries about the life ahead of me and I need to focus on the present without the distractions of everyday tasks.

My flight is booked. I leave LAX at 5:30pm on January 22nd 2009 and arrive in Berlin, Germany on January 23rd at 4:40pm. All I will have is a 1-way ticket, a loaded backpack and my boots to carry me to my next destination. Yes I’m scared but that’s all part of the brokenness that I seek. It is more of an apprehension than a true fear. Like I mentioned earlier, I’m worried more about how people will react to me as a traveler than about how I will get by. Don’t worry though! I doubt my Mom would let me leave the country without being as prepared as possible!

Some of the preparations that have begun include:
  1. Compilation of a country info notebook: This will include some basic necessary information about all the countries that I will potentially visit like visa info and neighboring countries
  2. The search for a sublet: If you know anyone who would be interested in a lease from January through to September for $550/month, please let me know! If you need more details just ask!
  3. Buying/obtaining all the equipment and gear I will need. I plan on camping in warmer climes so that will include a tent.
  4. Filling my positions in junior high youth group.
  5. Saying goodbyes, even if they are temporary.
I love you all. Thanks in advance for you excitement and support!

5 comments:

Casey said...

I can't even tell you how excited I am, Alex. We'll have to talk later about dates that we can see each other while I'm abroad, but holy cow! I'm so happy you're finally doing this! Call me!

Colin said...

Well if you ever roll through Roma let me know. I'll be here for a while. :) AMDG.

Max Critchfield said...

Wow, bro - I know this is going to be an amazing experience. I'll be praying for you; let's hang soon!

Alex said...

Alex,

I'm so excited for you...and I totally understand your reasoning for going, the yearnings you experience, the desire for something beyond our culture that has everything so perfectly hammered out. I myself have been considering some pretty radical ideas, for the same reasons. However, marriage makes things more complicated, so we'll see. But good for you, for recognizing the opportunity you have at this point in your life. You'll never have it back--

I recommend, if you haven't yet, reading Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. It will definitely get your blood going.

Two of my favorite quotes comes from that book-

"The core of man's spirit comes from new experiences."

"If we admit that human life can be ruled by reason, then all possibility of life is destroyed."

-Alex

LPM said...

Alex, if you decide to venture off to the Philippines, just let us know! OUr family can host you and you can visit Callao Caves, a little rafting maybe and who knows centuries old Banaue Rice Terraces.